Expected number of questions to win a game

Sequences, counting (including probability), logic and truth tables, algorithms, number theory, set theory, etc.

Expected number of questions to win a game

Postby concept on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Let, a person is taking part in a quiz competition.
For each questions in the quiz, there are 3 answers, and for each correct answer he gets 1 point.
When he gets 5 points, he wins the game.
But, if he gives 4 consecutive wrong answers, then his points resets to zero (i.e. if his score is now 4 and he gives 2 wrong answers, then his score resets to 0).

My question is, on an average how much questions he needs to answer to win the game?
Plz, someone give answer.
Last edited by concept on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
concept

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:28 pm

concept wrote:Let, a person is taking part in a quiz competition.
For each questions in the quiz, there are 3 answers, and for each correct answer he gets 1 point.
When he gets 5 points, he wins the game.
But, if he gives 2 consecutive wrong answers, then his points resets to zero (i.e. if his score is now 4 and he gives 2 wrong answers, then his score resets to 0).

My question is, on an average how much questions he needs to answer to win the game?
Plz, someone give answer.

Sorry, but giving out the answers doesn't generally happen here. You'll need to participate, too.

For a start, what is the probability of answering each question correctly? Are you assuming mere chance (that is, that the person is utterly ignorant), or are there other conditions? When you reply, please show your work so far. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Discrete Math