graphing with tan: y = tan(pi*x) + 2  TOPIC_SOLVED

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

graphing with tan: y = tan(pi*x) + 2

Postby thewitch on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Now i know this is probably a basic question so please forgive me.
i have a problem y = tan(pi*x) + 2
iv established my points as x = -3pi/2 -pi/2 -pi/4 0 pi/4 pi/2 and 3pi/4 the problem is I don't quite grasp what would happen to my x points when i multiply them by pi an explanation would be great and thanks in advance for your help i can pretty much figure it out from there once i know what that initial pi*x is
thewitch

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: graphing with tan

Postby FWT on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:57 pm

thewitch wrote:i have a problem y = tan(pi*x) + 2

This is just an equation. What do the instructions say you're supposed to do with it? Are you supposed to be graphing this for some interval they give you?

thewitch wrote:iv established my points as x = -3pi/2 -pi/2 -pi/4 0 pi/4 pi/2 and 3pi/4

I dont know what that means???

thewitch wrote:the problem is I don't quite grasp what would happen to my x points when i multiply them by pi

I dont understand what you're asking??? Because when you multiply something by pi you just get a value that is multiplied by pi. Please look here and then write back with more instructions. Thnx.
FWT

Postby thewitch on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 pm

sorry i guess i did make that a little complicated
im supposed to graph y=tan(pi*x)+2

i set up my table like this for the graph

x,y untraslated = -3pi/4,1 -pi/2,undefined -pi/4 0,-1 pi/4,undefined pi/2,1 3pi/4,-1

i understand you just add 2 to the y coordinate but i do not know how i would translate the x cordinate on the graph
thewitch

Postby maggiemagnet on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 am

thewitch wrote:i do not know how i would translate the x cordinate on the graph

That's what they show in the link the other poster gave you. They've got pictures there, too! Please do take a look; it's probably quicker (and a lot easier to understand!) than us trying to put it into words.
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Postby thewitch on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:36 am

Yes I read the link completely the problem I am having is that it doesn't tell me what the pi does on the inside to the variables. I understand everything about graphing it and all i just don't know what the pi next to x does to each value
thewitch

Re: graphing with tan  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 am

Yes it does: the multiplier inside (on the variable) is the "B" that tells you the length of the period. In this case, since B = pi, then the period (2pi)/(pi) = 2. Do the axis-labelling trick they show, and there you are!
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Return to Trigonometry