Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.
Oaney

Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Postby Oaney » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:59 am

I have been 'tutoring' a grade school student as a favor to a family friend. This child has been struggling in the math's and science's. Years ago I tended to do well in the math's and science's, and so I agreed to try and help my godchild with her homework. Fast forward to today. I recently came across a seemingly trivial problem that I could not explain to her. I was able to come up with the correct answer based on intuition alone, but I couldn't explain to her the specific steps to solve this problem.

This single test-prep question has been bugging me since then. Luckily she was able to follow my reasoning and get this section of the test correct. I would just like to be able to explain WHY this question works out. I will type the question in a very similar format, but using rounded numbers. I'm not sure what my issue is, but for some reason this question is causing me a major brain-fart. Hopefully yall can lend me a hand.

"You are planning on taking a road trip from Boston, MA to Washington, DC. This trip is roughly 700 miles. You are driving an average vehicle that gets 20mpg. Assume gas costs an average of $3.50/gal. Using the numbers given, what is the total cost to take this trip?"

maggiemagnet

Re: Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Postby maggiemagnet » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:16 am

Oaney wrote:I was able to come up with the correct answer based on intuition alone, but I couldn't explain to her the specific steps to solve this problem.

What steps did you do in your head? Maybe that's the way to do it!

Oaney wrote:"You are planning on taking a road trip from Boston, MA to Washington, DC. This trip is roughly 700 miles. You are driving an average vehicle that gets 20mpg. Assume gas costs an average of $3.50/gal. Using the numbers given, what is the total cost to take this trip?"

How many 20-mile lengths go into 700 miles? So how many gallons? How much does one gallon cost? So how much does this trip cost?
:clap:

Return to “Beginning Algebra”