Bonus question

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

Bonus question

Postby Hell0 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:52 pm

*pre-calc test, probably a trig question though*
Hi, i took a math test today and there was a bonus at the end and i was wondering what anyone thinks (i had a double period of math and the bonus took about a full one. if you didnt want to do the bonus you could have gone to the cafeteria but i wanted to try it). so the question went something like(it was a pic): the lengths of a baseball field from home plate all the way down the left and right sidelines is 300 ft. home to first and home to third is 90 ft(obviously leaving 210 for the remainder of the sideline). from home straight down the middle all the way is 400ft. and what we had to try and do was find the best length for the back curve of the field. if anyone can help id appreciate it, im very curious.
Hell0

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Hell0 wrote:...the question went something like(it was a pic): the lengths of a baseball field from home plate all the way down the left and right sidelines is 300 ft. home to first and home to third is 90 ft(obviously leaving 210 for the remainder of the sideline). from home straight down the middle all the way is 400ft. and what we had to try and do was find the best length for the back curve of the field.

How was "best length" defined? Were you given any information about the type of curve being used for the backfield wall (a parabola? the arc of a circle? something else?)?
stapel_eliz

Re:

Postby Hell0 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 am

stapel_eliz wrote:
Hell0 wrote:...the question went something like(it was a pic): the lengths of a baseball field from home plate all the way down the left and right sidelines is 300 ft. home to first and home to third is 90 ft(obviously leaving 210 for the remainder of the sideline). from home straight down the middle all the way is 400ft. and what we had to try and do was find the best length for the back curve of the field.

How was "best length" defined? Were you given any information about the type of curve being used for the backfield wall (a parabola? the arc of a circle? something else?)?

just the back of the field, no other information. from one end to to other, obviously some type of curve, not a straight line. thanks for replying
Hell0

Re: Bonus question

Postby Hell0 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:44 am

*update*

acutally i had it wrong. the question is which is the best way to have the back fence and why? like straight or curved
Hell0

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 pm

Hell0 wrote:the question is which is the best way to have the back fence and why? like straight or curved

I have no idea how one might be expected to use calculus to explain why the fence "should" be straight or curved, especially with only the information provided so far.
stapel_eliz

Postby Hell0 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:16 am

im sorry this is correct i promise: we have to try and find the length of the best fit for the curve around the back using the givens. this is where its trig (and not calc)
Hell0

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:47 am

Hell0 wrote:im sorry this is correct i promise: we have to try and find the length of the best fit for the curve around the back using the givens. this is where its trig (and not calc)

Okay. How is "best fit" defined? Are you supposed to do a quadratic fit, a cubic fit, a trigonometric fit, or something else? "The" answer will depend upon the specifications. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Postby Hell0 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:45 am

alright im onto something. im just wondering if you know how to find the distance between 2 points with the slope, is there a formula? is it even possible to find the distance with only a slope...?haha
Hell0

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am

Hell0 wrote:alright im onto something. im just wondering if you know how to find the distance between 2 points with the slope, is there a formula? is it even possible to find the distance with only a slope...?haha

A straight line has the same slope all along itself. But, given one point on that line, there are infinitely-many points on the line to either side of that original point. Thus, there are infinitely-many "distance" values for pairs of points on a line, even though every pair will generate the same slope value.

So, no, it is entirely impossible to find the distance between two (unspecified) points if one only knows the slope of the line on which those points lie. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Trigonometry