numerical applications  TOPIC_SOLVED

Complex numbers, rational functions, logarithms, sequences and series, matrix operations, etc.

numerical applications

Postby mabasamunashe on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:17 pm

The period T, of a simple pendulum is dwefined by the function T=4pi rut(l/g) where g is the constant gravitational acceleration and l the length of the pendulum.find the %change in the period caused by lengthening the pendulum by 2%.please help i diffrentiated to get dt/dl=pi/rut lg .I'm stuck there.
mabasamunashe

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: numerical applications  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby nona.m.nona on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 am

mabasamunashe wrote:The period T, of a simple pendulum is dwefined by the function T=4pi rut(l/g) where g is the constant gravitational acceleration and l the length of the pendulum.find the %change in the period caused by lengthening the pendulum by 2%.please help i diffrentiated to get dt/dl=pi/rut lg .I'm stuck there.

Are you using "T" to mean the same thing as "t"? What is the meaning of "rut"? Is this a function name?

The standard equation for a simple pendulum, as displayed in this resource, is given by:

In the above, "L" is defined such that it likely corresponds to your "l", and "g" corresponds to your "g"; the L and g are inside the square root, in ratio. Might this be the equation you are supposed to use? If so, then you may find this discussion, or ones like it, to be helpful.

If I have misinterpreted your meaning, kindly please respond with corrections. Thank you.
nona.m.nona

Re: numerical applications

Postby mabasamunashe on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:57 pm

thus the exact formular now the problem ask to find a %change in the period T given the %change in L length to be 2%.Help me solve the problem.
mabasamunashe

Re: numerical applications

Postby nona.m.nona on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am

mabasamunashe wrote:thus the exact formular now the problem ask to find a %change in the period T given the %change in L length to be 2%.Help me solve the problem.

One of the worked examples at the link was very similar to your exercise. The only difference was that the change was expressed as a fraction rather than as a percentage. Please reply showing how far you got in applying the demonstrated process. Thank you.
nona.m.nona

Return to Advanced Algebra ("pre-calculus")