Linear Programming  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Linear Programming

Postby Nats on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 pm

A builder is planning to build houses on a 9000m^2 plot of land. Some of the houses will be small. The others will be large. The number of small houses is represented by S. The number of large houses are represented by L. The authorities insist that there must be more small houses than large houses, and there must be at least 6 large houses.

a) write down two algebraic inequalities for these two conditions

Answer...............................and................................

Each small house requires 300m^2 of land and each large house requires 500m^2 of land .

I think the answers are: L is greater than or equal to 3000m^2 (first condition, since there must be at least 6 large houses) and 6L + S less than or equal to 9000m^2 (second condition) Is this correct?

b) use the fact that the plot of land has a total area of 9000m^2 to show that 3S + 5L is less than or equal to _< 90

but 3S = 3 X 300 = 900 and 5L 5 x 500 = 2500. we have a total of 3400. so how can 3400 be less than or equal to 90?
Nats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Linear Programming

Postby nona.m.nona on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Nats wrote:The number of small houses is represented by S. The number of large houses are represented by L....

Each small house requires 300m^2 of land and each large house requires 500m^2 of land .

I think the answers are: L is greater than or equal to 3000m^2 (first condition, since there must be at least 6 large houses) and 6L + S less than or equal to 9000m^2 (second condition) Is this correct?

I'm sorry, but I do not follow your reasoning. It appears that you have attempted to include at least three different conditions in one equation or inequality. It would likely be more helpful to work in an orderly fashion, clearly stating one's reasoning and processing the information step-by-step.

a) For what does each variable stand?
b) What minimums then must (logically) apply to the variables?
c) What inequality is required by what the "authorities insist" be true?
d) As a result of the other requirement upon which the "authorities insist", how may the original minimum for "L" be revised?

The statements in (c) and (d) are the first two answers.

e) Each "large" requires "500" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "L" "larges"?
f) Each "small" requires "300" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "S" "smalls"?
g) What statement then represents the total number of units of space required by all the houses?
h) What inequality results from the restriction on the total space available?
i) What inequality results from dividing the inequality in (h) by 100?
nona.m.nona

Postby Nats on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

nona.m.nona wrote:I'm sorry, but I do not follow your reasoning. It appears that you have attempted to include at least three different conditions in one equation or inequality. It would likely be more helpful to work in an orderly fashion, clearly stating one's reasoning and processing the information step-by-step.

d) As a result of the other requirement upon which the "authorities insist", how may the original minimum for "L" be revised?

e) Each "large" requires "500" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "L" "larges"?
f) Each "small" requires "300" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "S" "smalls"?
g) What statement then represents the total number of units of space required by all the houses?

thank you so much @nona

a) L= large house S=small houses
b) minimum of 6 Large houses.
c) I'm not sure : 6L greater than 9000m^2
d) I really dont know :(

e)3000
f)6000
g)9000
h) i dont know?
i) i dont know?
Nats

Re: Linear Programming  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby buddy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

nona.m.nona wrote:a) For what does each variable stand?
Nats wrote:a) L= large house S=small houses

unclear. try something like "L: the number of 'large' houses" etc etc

nona.m.nona wrote:b) What minimums then must (logically) apply to the variables?
Nats wrote:b) minimum of 6 Large houses.

no: can you have negative numbers of houses?

nona.m.nona wrote:c) What inequality is required by what the "authorities insist" be true?
Nats wrote:c) I'm not sure....

its in the question: "The authorities insist that there must be more small houses than large houses...": S > ????

nona.m.nona wrote:d) As a result of the other requirement upon which the "authorities insist", how may the original minimum for "L" be revised?
Nats wrote:d) I really dont know :(

its in the question: "...and there must be at least 6 large houses": L >= ????

nona.m.nona wrote:e) Each "large" requires "500" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "L" "larges"?
Nats wrote:e)3000

so if theres 1 or 2 or 3 or however, theres always only 3000 units of space????

nona.m.nona wrote:f) Each "small" requires "300" units of space. What expression then represents the number of units of space required by "S" "smalls"?
Nats wrote:f)6000

same Q as for (e)

nona.m.nona wrote:g) What statement then represents the total number of units of space required by all the houses?
Nats wrote:g)9000

do a stmt (not just a number) that uses S & L

nona.m.nona wrote:h) What inequality results from the restriction on the total space available?
Nats wrote:h) i dont know?

this is where you use the number 9000
buddy

Postby Nats on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Firstly, thank you very much @buddy.

OK, Im getting super, super frustrated, and Im sure you think Im super dumb, but I'll just keep trying till I get it right and hopefully you'll keep helping me till I do.

2nd attempt @nona's reasoning and processing step-by-step with @buddy's replies.

L: the number of large houses
S: the number of small houses

6L + S is greater than or equal to 9000m^2
S is greater than or equal to - 6l + 9000m^2

S greater than L

L is greater than or equal to 6

Answer for a: so the two inequalities for these conditions are: S is greater than L and L is greater than or equal to 6. Is that correct?

L is equal to 500

S is equal to 300

S + L is greater than or equal to 9000

S greater than 6L is greater than oor equal to 9000

why do we divide by 100?

still not sure of the answer for b.
Nats

Return to Intermediate Algebra