k= 3x^2 - x^3

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.
Nats
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 am
Contact:

k= 3x^2 - x^3

Postby Nats » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 am

The equation k= 3x^2 - x^3 is satisfied by one value for x between -2 and 4. what can be said about the value of k?

buddy
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm
Contact:

Re: k= 3x^2 - x^3

Postby buddy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 am

Nats wrote:The equation k= 3x^2 - x^3 is satisfied by one value for x between -2 and 4. what can be said about the value of k?

think of this like 2 functions: Y1 = 3x^2 - x^3 & Y2 = k. look at the graph of Y1 and think abt where you'd only get ONE number for x going with a number for y = Y2 = k. (but you probably need calculus for this, too????)

Nats
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 am
Contact:

Re: k= 3x^2 - x^3

Postby Nats » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:56 am

buddy wrote:
Nats wrote:The equation k= 3x^2 - x^3 is satisfied by one value for x between -2 and 4. what can be said about the value of k?

think of this like 2 functions: Y1 = 3x^2 - x^3 & Y2 = k. look at the graph of Y1 and think abt where you'd only get ONE number for x going with a number for y = Y2 = k. (but you probably need calculus for this, too????)


x = -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4
y = 20 -2 0 2 4 0 -16

still dont understand the value of k

buddy
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm
Contact:

Re: k= 3x^2 - x^3

Postby buddy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Nats wrote:x = -2 -1 0 1 2 3 4
y = 20 -2 0 2 4 0 -16

still dont understand the value of k

what did you get for a graph? what heights have 2+ x's that give that height? what heights match only 1 x? copy off the picture.


Return to “Intermediate Algebra”