Help With Proving Quadratic Functions in a Graph

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Help With Proving Quadratic Functions in a Graph

Postby Ccamm on Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I need help just starting off this proof then I should be able to do the rest. The proof is to prove y=ax^2 algebraic, y is the height in the graph and x is the x point of the graph. And a is the fatness of the parabola. The only problem is I'm having difficulty trying to start of this algebraic proof.
Ccamm

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Help With Proving Quadratic Functions in a Graph

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Could you use the Distance Formula? The equation for a parabola is derived using the distance formula. You might then use the distance formula again to show that a point on the graph above the horizontal line containing the vertex is the same as the value of the function. This seems redundant.
jg.allinsymbols

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon May 06, 2013 10:27 pm

Ccamm wrote:The proof is to prove y=ax^2 algebraic, y is the height in the graph and x is the x point of the graph. And a is the fatness of the parabola. The only problem is I'm having difficulty trying to start of this algebraic proof.

What does your book (or instructor) mean by proving that "y = ax^2" is "algebraic"?
stapel_eliz

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 am

Ccamm wrote:I need help just starting off this proof then I should be able to do the rest. The proof is to prove y=ax^2 algebraic, y is the height in the graph and x is the x point of the graph. And a is the fatness of the parabola. The only problem is I'm having difficulty trying to start of this algebraic proof.

What is the exact problem description, word-for-word? Is a picture, graph, or diagram included?
jg.allinsymbols

Return to Intermediate Algebra