Evaluate each expression  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simple patterns, variables, the order of operations, simplification, evaluation, linear equations and graphs, etc.

Evaluate each expression  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby chiefboo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:00 pm

x x

So I understand that I convert the numbers into rational expressions and then multiple them...

x x

which simplifies to...

2 x x 3

which equals 36.

but how do I multiply these numbers without a calculator? lol... Maybe I don't even really need to know, but I'm expecting to take a placement test when I reenter university after severals years of not having to do this stuff and I'm concerned they may expect me to know how to multiply rational expressions without a calculator.

I don't know what this process or procedure is called and I can't find any clear examples in my text book.
chiefboo

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 pm

To learn how to multiply radicals, try here and here. You'll see that you don't have to try to figure out the values of each of the cube roots; instead, you can multiply the insides and deal only with whole numbers. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: Evaluate each expression

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:01 am

Each of the bases can be factored, making simplification much easier. You may not need a calculator in you use the bases in their factored form.

4=2^2
6=2*3
9=3^2

Note that each of the exponentiated bases is to the two-thirds power!
jg.allinsymbols

Return to Pre-Algebra