looking to get a better understanding of pre-algebra  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simple patterns, variables, the order of operations, simplification, evaluation, linear equations and graphs, etc.

looking to get a better understanding of pre-algebra

Postby michelleholliday on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 am

I am looking to get a better understanding of pre-algebra as I have not been in school for 18 years and I am now trying to enter nursing school.I have to take an entrance exam and am afraid I will not pass... this test is not cheap so I am looking for any suggestions as far as where I can find the best help... thanks so much
michelleholliday

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:46 pm

If it is necessary to know the material well enough to pass an exam before entry to the institution, you might want to consider taking a pre-algebra course at your local community college first, or work through some book (I've had some luck with "dummies"-style books and with Schaum's Outlines) with a qualified local tutor.

Good luck! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: looking to get a better understanding of pre-algebra

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 pm

michelleholliday wrote:I am looking to get a better understanding of pre-algebra as I have not been in school for 18 years and I am now trying to enter nursing school.I have to take an entrance exam and am afraid I will not pass... this test is not cheap so I am looking for any suggestions as far as where I can find the best help... thanks so much

Pre-Algebra is good, but "Algebra 1" is better. You study, in both, properties of Order and Properties of Real Numbers. Old books are usually very good. New books are not necessarily better for being new. Study EVERYDAY once you begin. You will not develop the right conditioning if you study less than 5 days per week.

You CAN study Algebra 1 if you have not formally done a Pre-Algebra course. The only trouble comes from not having yet studied this Algebra 1 all the way through, during which time you could find the material very difficult. Some people need more than 18 weeks to learn the stuff well enough to pass with a C or better. Also, you need to be able to accept that some things may remain difficult for several months after first trying to study them, while other things should seem very, very helpful for understanding properties of numbers, problem solving and analyzing numeric situations. Your computational understanding should truly improve. Also, you need to be able to accept frequent confusion. You'll get through most of it but only if you study with effort and everyday.
jg.allinsymbols

Re:

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:If it is necessary to know the material well enough to pass an exam before entry to the institution, you might want to consider taking a pre-algebra course at your local community college first, or work through some book (I've had some luck with "dummies"-style books and with Schaum's Outlines) with a qualified local tutor.

Good luck! :wink:

Yes, I too believe that a tutor can help. Plenty of them are available. You also have this purplemath forum for help.

I like to suggest using old textbooks. The reason is that much of the use of written language is very clean, clear, and efficient, and the graphics illustrations are less fancy, overall the presence of graphics features is less messy and better organized in comparison to many of the modern books.
jg.allinsymbols

Return to Pre-Algebra