Graphing Parabola, negative x values

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.
wp_913

Graphing Parabola, negative x values

Postby wp_913 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi

I'm confused, a negative number with an exponent (exponentiation), will first have the exponent evaluated, and then have the opposite applied, ie. -2^2 = -4

However, if the negative number is enclosed with parentheses, (-2)^2, that indicates (-2) x (-2) = 4

So my question, when finding points for graphing a parabola, it appears from the examples I have studied that any negative values for x^2 always come out positive when evaluated in the quadratic equation, but there are no parentheses enclosing that value.

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

f(-2) = -2^2 + 4(-2) + 3 = -9, but all the examples that I study would evaluate this as f(-2) = (-2)^2 + 4(-2) + 3 = -1. But the parentheses are not shown, what rule or concept am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

theshadow

Re: Graphing Parabola, negative x values

Postby theshadow » Sun May 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Without seeing your book, it's hard to say what's going on. Does the book show the plug-and-chug as "-2^2 = 4", etc?

wp_913

Postby wp_913 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi

Not sure what the plug - chug means

This is what the book shows:

A negative number with an exponent (exponentiation), will first have the exponent evaluated, and then have the opposite applied, ie. -2^2 = -4

However, if the negative number is enclosed with parentheses, (-2)^2, that indicates (-2) x (-2) = 4

But in later chapters evaluating and graphing quadratic equations:

when finding points for graphing a parabola, it appears from the examples I have studied that any negative values for x^2 always come out positive when evaluated in the quadratic equation, but there are no parentheses enclosing that value.

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

f(-2) = -2^2 + 4(-2) + 3 = -9, but all the examples that I study would evaluate this as f(-2) = (-2)^2 + 4(-2) + 3 = -1. But the parentheses are not shown, what rule or concept am I missing?

Let me know if I can explain this better?

theshadow

Postby theshadow » Mon May 14, 2012 1:38 am

They don't put the parens around the variable x because you know what that is: the variable x. They do put the parens around the numbers, because otherwise it might be confusing. If you have x^2 and plug something in that's negative, if you don't use parens then it's confusing: x^2 for x = -1 should be "the square of -1". If you do "-1^2", then it looks like you mean "the negative of the square of 1" which isn't what you mean. If you do "(-1)^2", then you're saying what you mean.

So I think it's using punctuation to make the meaning clear, but not using that punctuation when you don't actually need it, like when it's variable instead of numbers.

Return to “Intermediate Algebra”