gas prices  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

gas prices

Postby jonesbetty on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

imagine you are at a gas station filling your tank with gas. The function C(g) represents the cost C of filling up the gas tank with g gallons. Given the equation C(g)=3.03(g).
a)what does the number 3.03 represent
b) find C(2)
c) find C(9)
d) for the average motorist,name one value for g that would be inappropriate for this function's purpose. Explain why you chose that number
e) if you were to graph C(g), what would be an appropriate domain and range? Explain your reasoning
jonesbetty

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: gas prices  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 pm

jonesbetty wrote:imagine you are at a gas station filling your tank with gas. The function C(g) represents the cost C of filling up the gas tank with g gallons. Given the equation C(g)=3.03(g).
a)what does the number 3.03 represent

What does "g" represent? If you plug in "1" for "g", what does the answer mean?

jonesbetty wrote:b) find C(2)

Plug "2" in for "g". Simplify.

jonesbetty wrote:c) find C(9)

Plug "9" in for "g". Simplify.

jonesbetty wrote:d) for the average motorist,name one value for g that would be inappropriate for this function's purpose. Explain why you chose that number

If you're not familiar with cars or driving, try asking an adult (like your mom) about gas tanks, etc.

jonesbetty wrote:e) if you were to graph C(g), what would be an appropriate domain and range? Explain your reasoning

Where are you having difficulty on this part?
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Re: gas prices

Postby jonesbetty on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm

i am 65 years old and very familiar with gas tanks i did not post to to ridiculed i an simply trying to relearn algebra to help my niece to learn and pass her course i cannot afford a tutor for her
jonesbetty

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

jonesbetty wrote:i[sic] am 65 years old and very familiar with gas tanks[sic] i[sic] did not post to to[sic] ridiculed...

No thoughs or steps were shown for any portion of any of the exercises which were posted under this username. While it is to be regretted if one took umbrage at the help provided, the assumption that help was needed on every portion of the question was arguably reasonable and sensible. Apologies for any confusion.

For better future results, kindly please re-read the "Please review...before posting" thread (including the "Are you seeking help?" discussion at the link) that you reviewed before posting, and then compose future messages in conformance with those guidelines.

Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra