Operation of Real numbers: this problem /3 1/2 /  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Operation of Real numbers: this problem /3 1/2 /

Postby wizkid33 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Today, I kind of got froze as what to do with this problem /3 1/2 / The teach taugh me yesterday, on how to solve a problem such as this one. I don't remember the steps. Can I please get some tips, or examples; on how to sove this? Between the bracks the number reas 3 and 1/2.
wizkid33

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:46 pm

wizkid33 wrote:I kind of got froze as what to do with this problem /3 1/2 /

What is the meaning of the division signs before and after the "three and a half"?

wizkid33 wrote:The teach taugh me yesterday, on how to solve a problem such as this one.

"Solving" is something that is done with equations (things with "equals" signs and variables). How is this an equation? What, exactly, were the instructions for this?

wizkid33 wrote:Between the bracks the number reas 3 and 1/2.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what this means...? :confused:
stapel_eliz

Re: Operation of Real numbers: this problem /3 1/2 /

Postby wizkid33 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:54 pm

In out text book the problem is written 3 1/2 with the 2 slashes on the side, basically what I am trying to do is solve that equation. Like Example: If I say /6/=6 or, /-3.3/=0 like that.
wizkid33

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:01 am

wizkid33 wrote:In out text book the problem is written 3 1/2 with the 2 slashes on the side, basically what I am trying to do is solve that equation. Like Example: If I say /6/=6 or, /-3.3/=0 like that.

Since there doesn't seem to be an "equals", I'm going to guess that the instructions say something like "simplify the expression". Also, since you don't seem to know what the "slashes" indicate, I'm going to guess that they're really absolute-value bars. Also, since you say "/-3.3/=0", I'm going to guess that you're not familiar with how absolute values work, and are seeking instruction.

To learn about absolute values, their notation, and how to simplify expressions, please try this lesson. :wink:

(If any of my guesses were wrong and you're needing some other type of help, please reply with clarification. Thank you!)
stapel_eliz

Re: Operation of Real numbers: this problem /3 1/2 /

Postby wizkid33 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm

yes! It was on the tip of my tongue, really could not say what it was...but absolute value bars you are correct.
wizkid33

Return to Intermediate Algebra