chord, arc, angle, what can't i figure this out?  TOPIC_SOLVED

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

chord, arc, angle, what can't i figure this out?

Postby travkliewer on Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 pm

I know distance ab and cd, but I need the distance co and the angle aob. I scoured the internet and can't find the right formula. I can't seem to understand the problem either, I know trig, I know the law of cosines and the law of sines and I can figure out most triangle problems. But this one has got me baffled.

edit: I'm using photobucket and the image didn't come out right, but I fixed it.
travkliewer

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon May 30, 2011 3:49 pm

travkliewer wrote:Image
I know distance ab and cd, but I need the distance co and the angle aob.

Since oa, ob, and oc are all radii of the circle, then they have the same lengths.

Label oa as "r", ad as "x", and dc as "y". Then od is "y - r". Also, aod is a right triangle, with the length of ad known. Can you find a way to use the Pythagorean Theorem to create an equation with the only unknown being "r"? If so, then you can solve for this value.

Once you have the value of r, then you'll have the lengths of all three sides of the isosceles triangle aob, from which you should be able to find the measure of the angle at o. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Trigonometry