Can't figure out the formula for these word problems  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Can't figure out the formula for these word problems

Postby asmommy11910 on Thu May 12, 2011 3:17 pm

1. If Sally can paint a house in 4 hours, and John can paint the same house in 6 hour, how long will it take for both of them to paint the house together?

2. The sales price of a car is $12,590, which is 20% off the original price. What is the original price?

3. If Leah is 6 years older than Sue, and John is 5 years older than Leah, and the total of their ages is 41. Then how old is Sue?

4. Alfred wants to invest $4,000 at 6% simple interest rate for 5 years. How much interest will he receive?

I'm not asking you to do the work for me. I'm just confused as to how to find the right formula to solve the equation. Each equation I come up with seems to be wrong and I get the wrong answer. I just need a little guidance. Thank you in advance.
asmommy11910

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm

asmommy11910 wrote:1. If Sally can paint a house in 4 hours, and John can paint the same house in 6 hour, how long will it take for both of them to paint the house together?

"Work" Word Problems

asmommy11910 wrote:2. The sales price of a car is $12,590, which is 20% off the original price. What is the original price?

"Percent of" Word Problems

asmommy11910 wrote:3. If Leah is 6 years older than Sue, and John is 5 years older than Leah, and the total of their ages is 41. Then how old is Sue?

"Age" Word Problems

asmommy11910 wrote:4. Alfred wants to invest $4,000 at 6% simple interest rate for 5 years. How much interest will he receive?

"Investment" Word Problems

asmommy11910 wrote:Each equation I come up with seems to be wrong and I get the wrong answer. I just need a little guidance.

In order to correct your errors, we will need to be able to see your work. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra