f of pi over 6 problem

Geometric formulae, word problems, theorems and proofs, etc.
jboykin325
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm
Contact:

f of pi over 6 problem

Postby jboykin325 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:07 pm

I cannot find the right answer to this problem:

find f(pi/6) if f(x) = [-5cos(9x)/2sin(-x)]

the book says the answer is 0. How do you solve this problem?

User avatar
stapel_eliz
Posts: 1738
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm
Contact:

Postby stapel_eliz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:27 pm

jboykin325 wrote:find f(pi/6) if f(x) = [-5cos(9x)/2sin(-x)]

How do you solve this problem?

You evaluate this in the exact same way you've evaluated every other function you've worked with: you plug the argument (in this case, pi/6) in for the variable, and simplify. :wink:

jboykin325
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re:

Postby jboykin325 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:
jboykin325 wrote:find f(pi/6) if f(x) = [-5cos(9x)/2sin(-x)]

How do you solve this problem?

You evaluate this in the exact same way you've evaluated every other function you've worked with: you plug the argument (in this case, pi/6) in for the variable, and simplify. :wink:


unfortunately, when i plug in pi over 6 for each x, I come out with an answer far from 0, which is the answer from the my worksheet.
it comes out to :

-4.983/-.01828

which does NOT equal zero. :[

User avatar
stapel_eliz
Posts: 1738
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm
Contact:

Postby stapel_eliz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:40 pm

jboykin325 wrote:unfortunately, when i plug in pi over 6 for each x, I come out with an answer far from 0....

1) You don't need a calculator for this; do the multiplication inside the cosine, and use the reference-angle value you've memorized.

2) If you're going to use a calculator, make sure you have it set to the correct "mode", or else change the radians to degrees. :wink:


Return to “Geometry”