Angle of Ascent - help a math weak programmer  TOPIC_SOLVED

Trigonometric ratios and functions, the unit circle, inverse trig functions, identities, trig graphs, etc.

Angle of Ascent - help a math weak programmer

Postby webbiz on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm still getting my bearings in Algebra let alone understanding Trig. Eventually I will get there (I hope) with my "Trigonometry for Dummies" book. :)

However, at the moment I have a trig problem I need to solve so that I can code this into a program. So I thought maybe someone here can help me with this.

This problem deals with solving for the ANGLE based on stock chart prices.

PROBLEM:

The starting price is 1054.7.

Suppose that two lines originate from 1054.7 and 21 days later end up at 1235.2 (line 1) and 1260.4 (line 2 or hypotenuse).

I believe you call this pattern a Scalene Triangle.

To solve this in order to get the ANGLE of ascent, I am wondering if the proper procedure is to make the start and end of the BASE the same price and subtract the difference from the value at the end of Line 2.

In other words:

1235.2 - 1054.7 = 180.5.
1260.4 - 180.5 = 1079.9 (line 2)

Thus, the base would be 21 days long at the price of 1054.7 and end of line two (hypotenuse) would be 1079.9.

But now I have a Right Triangle. So I'm thinking this approach is all wrong.

Also, I'm not sure to go about converting days into price or price into days to solve this.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
webbiz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:22 pm

How does your book define "angle of ascent"? Does it give you a formula for this?

Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: Angle of Ascent - help a math weak programmer

Postby webbiz on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:02 am

What book? The dummies book? I dunno. Didn't know there was such a subject in that book. I'm still getting through the Algebra for Dummies book at the moment.

I was hoping that someone here who knows Trig could help me on this problem as I need to code it.

I figured you would draw this as a triangle. There are 3 values in terms of prices for each corner. How would you solve for Angle in such a scenario? I cannot figure out how to do the SOHCAHTOA thingy on this where you have the corner prices rather than lengths of sides (except the lengths of the base and hypot is in days, 21).

Suggestions?

Thanks.
webbiz

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:05 am

webbiz wrote:What book?

I'd assumed you had gotten this exercise from a book, and I was hoping it provided a definition, so as to clarify what it is that you're trying to do. Because I'm afraid I'm not understanding quite what it is that you're needing.

What are you trying to accomplish, measure, or model on the basis of these stock prices?
stapel_eliz

Postby webbiz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Please do the following:

On paper, draw a segment line from starting point A to B, with B being slightly higher in elevation than A (the ascent).

Draw another segment line, starting from the SAME point A, but this time with a greater ascent so that you end up at a higher level than B but right above it vertically. Mark that as 'C'.

Connect B to C.

Now you have the triangle.

Point A = 1054.7
Point B = 1235.2
Point C = 1260.4

The distance between points A to B and points A to C = 21 days.

What is the ANGLE of A?

webbiz

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Assuming that A = (0, 1054.7), B = (21, 1235.2), and C = (21, 1260.4), you can use the Distance Formula to find the sides' lengths. Then use the Law of Cosines to find the angle. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Postby webbiz on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks.

I will read those pages and see if I can do the math.

:)
webbiz

Return to Trigonometry