Help please!!!! (returning to school, never took algebra)

Simple patterns, variables, the order of operations, simplification, evaluation, linear equations and graphs, etc.

Help please!!!! (returning to school, never took algebra)

Postby Revclyburn on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:09 pm

I need some serious help with Algebra,

I just don't get it, how to work any equation. I'm 50 and this wasn't a requirement when I went to school. Now that I am back in school, I see I need it to get my degree, but I just cvan't understand it. Can someone help m,e here, PLEASE! I have to pass te classes I have in Algebra, I want my degree. Anyone want to help me out here.
Revclyburn

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Please post the exercise with which you are having difficulty, including the instructions, and provide a clear listing of what you've tried so far.

(Or, if you mean that you need generalized personal tutoring, please note that this service is beyond what is possible here, and consider hiring a qualified tutor and setting aside an hour or two a day for individualized instruction.)

Thank you! :D

Eliz.
stapel_eliz

Re: Help please!!!!

Postby DAiv on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

I need some serious help with Algebra,

I just don't get it, how to work any equation. I'm 50 and this wasn't a requirement when I went to school. Now that I am back in school, I see I need it to get my degree, but I just cvan't understand it. Can someone help m,e here, PLEASE! I have to pass te classes I have in Algebra, I want my degree. Anyone want to help me out here.

Firstly, kudos for going back to school and aiming for a degree! :clap:

I'd recommend going through the topics here, starting with the preliminary topics (even the ones you think you may already know) to give you a solid foundation from which to build upon.

If, after having done that, there is still something you don't understand, as Eliz has said, post your question with an example and the working out you've done so far, so we can see how you're tackling it and have a better understanding as to where you're having difficulties.

DAiv
DAiv

Re: Help please!!!! (returning to school, never took algebra)

Postby Mathphobic on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:57 am

I am 39 and I had taken Mth 60, last term. I am working towards math 95 for my degree, that is full blown algebra. I had found this site last summer. I had not done math in 24 years easy, and for me, like you, it isn't what I had either.

I want to tell you this site has saved me. It breaks it down so you can understand it so easily. I sometimes sit with my book open and my laptop and go over some of the problems. I have a great teacher, but sometimes I need to work it for myself slower.

You have came to the right place for help. Believe me. I didn't even know how to do a fraction anymore when I came here. I studied using this site and I passed my placement test into math 60 instead of basic math 20.

Good Luck!
Mathphobic

Re: Help please!!!! (returning to school, never took algebra)

Postby bizzymumsy on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:34 pm

I am also an older student, returning at the age of 48. As you stated this type of math was not required when we went to school and it is very overwhelming. I just finished pre-algebra and it takes doing a problem over and over again until you understand what the concept and the formula is. The further you go the more sense it makes. Print of online worksheets and practice, practice, practice, this has been the only way I got through the class. And I am skipping class this next six-weeks to review so that I can make sure I have a good understanding of the basics before I try and go further. The best of luck, hang in there and believe in yourself! :wave:
bizzymumsy

Return to Pre-Algebra