Would you like to help?

Rules for posting and helping, along with guides for formatting and explanations of what to expect. Post "test" messages here.

Would you like to help?

Postby PM_Admin on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 pm

So you'd like to be a helper?

• Jump right in! Anybody and everybody is welcome to help others! It is not required that you be a professor, an accredited educator, or a professional tutor. All you need is a familiarity with a topic and the ability to communicate your knowledge.
  • Encourage learning. The goal of these forums is to help people learn and, as they say, "One best learns by doing." While it is often easiest to simply post "the answer" to an exercise, a student learns nothing from this that wasn't already in the back of the book. Instead, strive to provide hints, helps, leading questions, and other avenues for the learner to investigate.
  • Support growth. If you're helping, then you already "know how to do it". The goal of these forums is that the learners grow in understanding as you have. Providing the complete hand-in solution to a take-home test might be "fun" for you, but the student (experience shows) learns very little which is positive.
  • Model good habits. Please speak clearly, display consideration and good manners, and model useful mathematical habits of writing and thought. Explaining similar examples and posting links to on-topic web pages is great; doing a student's homework or posting ads is not.
  • Be professional. Keep in mind that readers cannot hear your cheerful tone or see your friendly wink. While a friendly tone is certainly preferred, it is often best to exercise caution regarding sarcasm, off-topic humor, and the like. If you're tired, go to bed and come back, refreshed, the next day.
Please keep in mind that the purpose of these forums is to help students learn and grow, so let's try to keep current threads on-topic. And, as excellent a suggestion as you might have for a particular question, resurrecting an old (and especially a resolved) thread accomplishes little more than pushing active questions out of view, so let's stick to responding to recent and unresolved threads.

Thank you!
PM_Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Would you like to help?

Postby jaybird0827 on Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 pm

I am reviewing my calculus and I stumbled over this forum just today by googling for some help on rate-of-change of an angle type word problems. We worked together on another virtual venue some time back. I am really glad to see that you have created this forum and I will try to help when I can.

Cheers ~~ Jay
jaybird0827

Postby LittleMissCrazy on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:05 am

AWESOME !
LittleMissCrazy

Postby 521719 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 am

i love purple math. my 9th grade math teacher told me all about it. i learned so much from it. thanks to whoever made it, they are a gr8 life saver.
:wave: :wave: :wave: :confused: :D :lol: 8-) :?: :popcorn:

Re: PLEASE HELP ME

Postby Cinnamon29 on Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 pm

I have just started MAT/116 and I am having a hard time trying to keep up with these problems. I am unable to find out inequalities and the process along with the information. I am really struggling with this when I was in high school I did not do anything in Algebra I am at lost here please advise.
Cinnamon29

Re: PLEASE HELP ME

Postby Martingale on Mon May 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Cinnamon29 wrote:I have just started MAT/116 and I am having a hard time trying to keep up with these problems. I am unable to find out inequalities and the process along with the information. I am really struggling with this when I was in high school I did not do anything in Algebra I am at lost here please advise.

If you have specific questions then post them in the appropriate sub-forum and someone will help you.
Martingale

Postby Barnsey on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 pm

These forums are a fantastic idea, no website I have ever visited has got a forum. It really helps and if you are stuck on something you can just post your problem and people will answer there best ideas. Amazing.
Barnsey

Return to Forum Rules & Guides