Mixture Problems: 8% salt soln mixed w/ 4 oz 20% soln  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Mixture Problems: 8% salt soln mixed w/ 4 oz 20% soln

Postby Kat on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:54 pm

I am reviewing for a college algebra class, I am having a problem remembering how to set up a mixture problem.

Problem: A mixtures containing 8% salt is to be mixed with 4 ounces of a mixture that is 20% salt, in order to obtain a solution that is 12% salt. How much of the first solution is to be used?

I used to be able to do these well, but can't seem to remember how to set it up. Can anyone help? Thanks!

KAT
Kat

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Kat wrote:Problem: A mixtures containing 8% salt is to be mixed with 4 ounces of a mixture that is 20% salt, in order to obtain a solution that is 12% salt. How much of the first solution is to be used?

I used to be able to do these well, but can't seem to remember how to set it up.

To review how to set up and solve "mixture" exercises, try here. Once you have studied the lesson in the link, the following will make sense:

+-----+------+------+--------+
+-----| oz. | % | oz. |
+-----| soln | salt | salt |
| 1st | | 0.08 | |
| 2nd | 4 | 0.20 | 4(0.2) |
| mix | | 0.12 | |

Pick a variable for the amount you need to find. Fill in the blanks. Then add down (as the lesson explains) to find your equation. Solve for your variable.

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work and reasoning so far. Thank you! :D

Eliz.
stapel_eliz

Re:  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby DAiv on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:Problem: A mixtures containing 8% salt is to be mixed with 4 ounces of a mixture that is 20% salt, in order to obtain a solution that is 12% salt. How much of the first solution is to be used?

+-----| oz. | % | oz. |
+-----| soln | salt | salt |
| 1st | | 0.04 | |

Shouldn't that 0.04 be 0.08?

DAiv
DAiv

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 pm

DAiv wrote:Shouldn't that 0.04 be 0.08?

Oops! :oops: