Exploring inequalities: Graph y< -x^2 + 4 on coord. plane  TOPIC_SOLVED

Complex numbers, rational functions, logarithms, sequences and series, matrix operations, etc.

Exploring inequalities: Graph y< -x^2 + 4 on coord. plane

Postby nghiale2016 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 am

Here is the problem
Graph y< -x^2 + 4 on a coordinate plane. Let y= 0 and solve for x and graph the solution a number line. Explain the relationship between the coordinate plane graph and the number line graph.

Please help me, thank you very much. :(
nghiale2016

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Where are you stuck in the process?

You've graphed the line "y = -x2 + 4" (but as a dashed line, because this is not an "or equal to" inequality), you've plugged zero in for y and solved the quadratic equation for the values of x (being the x-intercepts of the graph), have picked the interval which solves the quadratic inequality, compared this interval with the graph, and... then what?

Please be specific. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: Exploring inequalities: Graph y< -x^2 + 4 on coord. plane

Postby nghiale2016 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:13 pm

The direction only said that I have to explain the relationship between the coordinate plane graph and the number line graph, I do not know how to do that :(, please help :(
nghiale2016

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:06 pm

You're to explain, after you've done the graph and the number line. What you need to do, once you've done the graph and the number line, is compare the graph's below-the-axis interval with the number line's solution interval. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Advanced Algebra ("pre-calculus")