can't figure out radical  TOPIC_SOLVED

Complex numbers, rational functions, logarithms, sequences and series, matrix operations, etc.

can't figure out radical

Postby balkenator on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:43 am

27^x^2-3x=1/3 (reads: 27 to the power of x-squared minus 3x, equals 1/3.)

so far i've gotten down to -9 plus or minus the square root of 69, over 6. I ahve done this problem and variations of the this problem three times now, and for some reason i am doing something wrong everytime with the radical...you don't have to give me the answer;I am just trying to figure out what my next step is because I am obviously messing up somewhere... :confused:
balkenator

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm

balkenator wrote:27^x^2-3x=1/3 (reads: 27 to the power of x-squared minus 3x, equals 1/3.)

I will guess that you mean "27^(x^2 - 3x) = 1/3", which typesets as:

. . . . .

I'm not sure where radicals are coming into play...?

Instead, try solving the exponential equation by the usual methods:

. . . . .

. . . . .

Then equate the powers, solve the resulting quadratic equation, etc, etc. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: can't figure out radical

Postby balkenator on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:40 pm

It's the last part of the quadratic equation that is messing me up... that's why i said:

balkenator wrote:so far i've gotten down to -9 plus or minus the square root of 69, over 6. I have done this problem and variations of the this problem three times now, and for some reason i am doing something wrong everytime with the radical...you don't have to give me the answer;I am just trying to figure out what my next step is because I am obviously messing up somewhere... :confused:
balkenator

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 pm

Why do you think your Quadratic-Formula value is incorrect?
stapel_eliz

Return to Advanced Algebra ("pre-calculus")