The identification of the Polynomial functions ?  TOPIC_SOLVED

Complex numbers, rational functions, logarithms, sequences and series, matrix operations, etc.

The identification of the Polynomial functions ?

Postby honest_denverco09 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:32 am

I am confusing about how can we identify whether the function is in the polynomial form or not.
For example i have : x^5 - 1 and 25 . Are they the polynomial functions and i need to be explained ?
Please help me !Thanks!
honest_denverco09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm

honest_denverco09 wrote:I am confusing about how can we identify whether the function is in the polynomial form or not. For example i have : x^5 - 1 and 25 .

To learn what polynomials are (along with their names and various other definitions), try this online lesson. :wink:

Long story short: If the function consists of "terms" (bits that are added together) in which the variables have only whole-number powers (so no square roots, no absolute-value bars, no other functions like logs or cosines, etc) and the variables are only in the numerator (so no "3/x" sorts of terms), then you're looking at a polynomial. :D
stapel_eliz

Re: The identification of the Polynomial functions ?

Postby honest_denverco09 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm

I got it. Thank you so much! :wink: . But i just want to ask 1 question about the polynomial :

Is any number like 25, 2, 4, the polynomial function, and if so, what is the degree of these? Is that a "0" ? Thank again !

Also i would like to ask "What is the real number and how can we know it ?"

Thanks!
honest_denverco09

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Constant terms like "5" can be stated as "5x0", since anything to the zero power is just "1". So constants are terms, and they are of degree zero.

I don't know your context, but you can figure out the answer for real numbers in this lesson on number types and how to recognize which is which. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: The identification of the Polynomial functions ?

Postby honest_denverco09 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:32 am

tHANK you so much! You and this web are very helpful! ^^!Thank so much
honest_denverco09

Return to Advanced Algebra ("pre-calculus")