Finding a point that is in equal distance from other points  TOPIC_SOLVED

Complex numbers, rational functions, logarithms, sequences and series, matrix operations, etc.

Finding a point that is in equal distance from other points

Postby Yahwey on Sun May 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I received this math problem that instructed me to find a fourth point, so that it is an equal distance from each other point. We just finished up with the distance equation, so I believe that I need to use it to solve it. Here is the actual text from the problem:
You are given P(-3, 2), Q(3, 1), R(0,6). Find the coordinates of A, so that the distance between P and A, Q and A, and R and A are all the same.

I'm a little confused at where I should start. I tried graphing it, but I'm not sure where to put "A". Would A be in the center of all the points? If so, how should I accomplish that? I don't want your answer to the problem, just the steps I need to take. Thanks in advance.
Yahwey

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun May 01, 2011 4:04 pm

Yahwey wrote:We just finished up with the distance equation, so I believe that I need to use it to solve it.

That's a good assumption.

You are given P(-3, 2), Q(3, 1), R(0,6). Find the coordinates of A, so that the distance between P and A, Q and A, and R and A are all the same.

The coordinates of A will be (x, y), for some value of x and y. You can plug these into the Distance Formula.

Yahwey wrote:I tried graphing it, but I'm not sure where to put "A".

Hint: Draw the three points, and then try to sketch a circle through them. What point would then be equidistant from all three? :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: Finding a point that is in equal distance from other poi

Postby Yahwey on Sun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Solved it, thank you very much for the help. It set me on the right path.
Yahwey

Return to Advanced Algebra ("pre-calculus")