Piper plan, B737 cross paths travelling in opp. directions  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Piper plan, B737 cross paths travelling in opp. directions

Postby cvilchez on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:52 am

Can anyone help me with word problems? I have no clue how to start.
Here is one of the 8 I have to do
A Piper airplane and a B737 aircraft cross each other (at different altitudes) teveling in opposite directions.
The B737 travels 5 times the speed pf the pipper. If in 4 hours they are 2160 miles apart, find the speed of each aircarft.

Thank you so much!! if you can please give me a hint how to start putting these information together. :confused:
cvilchez

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:40 pm

cvilchez wrote:if you can please give me a hint how to start putting these information together.

To learn, in general, how to set up and solve this sort of exercise, try here. :wink:

cvilchez wrote:A Piper airplane and a B737 aircraft cross each other (at different altitudes) teveling in opposite directions. The B737 travels 5 times the speed pf the pipper. If in 4 hours they are 2160 miles apart, find the speed of each aircarft.

The Boeing 737 is defined in terms of the Piper.

i) Pick a variable for the Piper's rate of speed.

ii) Create an expression, in terms of the variable in (i), for the 737's rate of speed.

iii) Note the time given, and create an expression for the distance of the Piper, in terms of the variable in (i).

iv) Note again the time given, and create an expression for the distance of the 737, in terms of the expression in (ii).

v) Note that, by travelling directly away from each other, their distances are additive.

vi) Use the relationship in (v), along with the expressions in (iii) and (iv), to create an expression for the total distance between the two craft.

vii) Note the given value for the total distance, and use this to create an equation, using this value and the expression in (vi), for the total distance.

viii) Solve the equation in (vii) for the value of the variable.

ix) Use the definition in (i) to explain the value found in (viii).

x) Use the definition in (ii) to find the speed of the 737.

If you get stuck, please reply showing how far you have gotten. Thank you! :D
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra