find the x and y intercepts, turning points, and create a  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

find the x and y intercepts, turning points, and create a

Postby precalcdummy on Mon May 18, 2009 9:28 am

create a table for f(x)=x(x+2)^2 Use a graphing utility to approximate the x minus and y minus intercepts of the graph. aproximate the turinig points of the graph. Find the domain and the range of the function. I am having problems using my calculator correctly for hese problems. Please help
precalcdummy

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm

precalcdummy wrote:I am having problems using my calculator correctly for hese problems.

The "table" you can do by hand: pick x-values, plug them in, solve for the corresponding y-values. The domain you already know, since every polynomial is defined for "all real numbers". From what you know about the graphs of cubic functions, you know the range: "all real numbers". The x- and y-intercepts you can easily find by solving. The only part for which you'd "need" your calculator is the turning points.

To learn how to enter the function, graph it, and "trace" the curve (perhaps "zooming in" to see bits of it better) on your calculator, try reading the chapter in the owners manual on "graphing". If you've lost your manual, you should be able to download a copy from the manufacturer's web site.

:wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: find the x and y intercepts, turning points, and create a

Postby little_dragon on Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm

if you have a ti-84 push Y=, put the formula in, adn then do 2nd TRACE to find where it turns. you can do where it crosses with the CALC part. i dont know about domain and rznge tho soryr
little_dragon

Return to Intermediate Algebra