Formula gives height (h) in feet of an object after (t) secs  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Formula gives height (h) in feet of an object after (t) secs

Postby dpatterson on Wed May 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Formula gives height (h) in feet of an object after (t) seconds. Initial velocity is expressed in feet per second.
A toy rocket was launched from the ground straight up with an initial velocity of 64 ft/sec. How many seconds after launch was the rocket 48 feet above the ground?
dpatterson

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm

dpatterson wrote:Formula gives height (h) in feet of an object after (t) seconds. Initial velocity is expressed in feet per second.

A toy rocket was launched from the ground straight up with an initial velocity of 64 ft/sec. How many seconds after launch was the rocket 48 feet above the ground?

What formula did they give you? It should have looked something like the formula explained here.

If not, please reply with corrections. If so, then please reply showing how far you've gotten and where you're stuck, starting with plugging "64" in for "v0", "0" in for "h0", "48" in for "s(t)" (or "h(t)", etc), and (because you're using "feet") "16" in for "g".

Thank you! :D
stapel_eliz

Re: Formula gives height (h) in feet of an object after (t) secs

Postby dpatterson on Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 am

That's what's throwing me off... The instructions don't give a formula at all. Just those two sentences. I will try again using the example you gave me and post back if I get stuck. THank you so much for your help!
dpatterson

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 am

If they didn't give you the formula for that particular exercise, then they covered it in the section or earlier in the chapter, and expect you to have memorized it. :shock:

So read the lesson in the link provided earlier, and memorize that formula! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra