Can this be simplified any furthur? (a^2(a^2-b^2))/(b^2(a-b)  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Can this be simplified any furthur? (a^2(a^2-b^2))/(b^2(a-b)

Postby Hannah on Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:47 pm

In my math class right now, we're learning about multiplying rationals, which is basically multiplying fractions with variables in them. I got this as an answer to a question, but I'm not sure if it's simplified all the way:

a2(a2-b2)
b2(a-b)

We don't need to distribute the a2 or b2. I'm just wondering if you could divide the (a2-b2) by the (a-b)? Is that possible? Is it allowed? And would the quotient be (a+b)? One of the answers on the answer sheet (it's one of those corny Punchline joke worksheets) is:

a2(a+b)
b2

Would that be the simplified answer of my question above, if those two terms were to be divided?

Thanks!
Hannah

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Can this be simplified any furthur?  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby Martingale on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Hannah wrote:In my math class right now, we're learning about multiplying rationals, which is basically multiplying fractions with variables in them. I got this as an answer to a question, but I'm not sure if it's simplified all the way:

a2(a2-b2)
b2(a-b)

We don't need to distribute the a2 or b2. I'm just wondering if you could divide the (a2-b2) by the (a-b)? Is that possible? Is it allowed? And would the quotient be (a+b)? One of the answers on the answer sheet (it's one of those corny Punchline joke worksheets) is:

a2(a+b)
b2

Would that be the simplified answer of my question above, if those two terms were to be divided?

Thanks!

Martingale

Return to Intermediate Algebra