help simplifying rational expressions: X/(2x^2 + 7x + 3) +  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

help simplifying rational expressions: X/(2x^2 + 7x + 3) +

Postby Lou on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:52 pm

X + -5
_____________ ________________
2x^2 + 7x +3 3x^2+7x-6

I know there is factoring by grouping, which this is not working for me. there is also factoring by trial and error, WOW?? My instructor was trying to show me how to factor by using the primes of the last terms in the deominator, then doing something with them, but i didn't catch on, it was a big chart thing, looked like it would work every time, any help would be great.
Lou

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Lou wrote:X + -5
_____________ ________________
2x^2 + 7x +3 3x^2+7x-6

Please review how to format math as text, so that others can understand your meaning. For instance, the above (assuming the "X" is really an "x") should be as follows:

. . . . .x/(2x^2 + 7x + 3) + (-5)/(3x^2 + 7x - 6)

Lou wrote:I know there is factoring by grouping, which this is not working for me. there is also factoring by trial and error, WOW?

Ah. So they forgot to cover how to factor quadratics (which should have been all or most of an entire chapter in the book) before assigning exercises which require the topic. Ouch! :shock:

To learn how to factor quadratics, try here.

Once you have learned the basic methodology, please attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you will then be able to reply with a clear listing of your steps and reasoning so far.

Thank you! :D
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra