equation of straight line

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

equation of straight line

Postby Nat on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:22 am

Find the equation of the straight line through A(1,4) which is perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0). Hence find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the simplest possible form.

Do i use point B and C to find the slope? what do I do with the coordinates given in A?
Nat

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: equation of straight line

Postby theshadow on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Nat wrote:Find the equation of the straight line through A(1,4) which is perpendicular to the line passing through the points B(2,-2) and C(4,0). Hence find the area of the triangle ABC, giving your answer in the simplest possible form.

Do i use point B and C to find the slope?

Yes.

Nat wrote: what do I do with the coordinates given in A?

You take the slope between B and C, find the perpendicular slope, and then find the equation of the line "through A which is perpendicular to the line passing through..B and C". So take the perpendicular slope and the point, and plug into one of the straight line equations to get the answer.

"In the simplest possible form" is going to be something your book defined for just this course. There isn't any standard "simplest form" for line eqns.
theshadow

Return to Intermediate Algebra