System of Equations help: Maya and Renee were top scorers...  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

System of Equations help: Maya and Renee were top scorers...

Postby stonk on Tue May 27, 2014 9:16 pm

How do I form an equation based on numerical comparison in a system of equations problem? This particular problem gives the first equation in standard form, but I don't know how to make the other equation. Here's the problem:

"During the 2008-2009 basketball season the UConn women's team had an incredible undefeated season (39-0) and won the NCAA championship. Maya Moore and Renee Montgomery were the top scorers during the year and together they scored 1,398 points. If Maya scored 110 more than Renee, how many points did each player score during the season?"

I assumed that an inequality would be part of it, but now I don't know. Can somebody explain how I solve this kind of problem without giving away the answer? I want to know how to solve these in the future.
stonk

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: System of Equations help: Maya and Renee were top scorer  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby little_dragon on Tue May 27, 2014 9:40 pm

stonk wrote:This particular problem gives the first equation in standard form, but I don't know how to make the other equation.

what eqn do they give??

stonk wrote:"During the 2008-2009 basketball season the UConn women's team had an incredible undefeated season (39-0) and won the NCAA championship. Maya Moore and Renee Montgomery were the top scorers during the year and together they scored 1,398 points. If Maya scored 110 more than Renee, how many points did each player score during the season?"

pick var's for people's scores: m & r
go here to learn how to "model": http://www.purplemath.com/modules/translat.htm
then what eqn. stands for "m and r added up to 1398"?
what eqn. stands for "m was r plus (some more)"?
then solve the system
:wave:
little_dragon

Re: System of Equations help: Maya and Renee were top scorer

Postby stonk on Tue May 27, 2014 9:50 pm

Sorry for the confusion there. They didn't give an equation, I was just talking about making the second equation in the system. If you were saying that the equation is m=r+110 my answer was right then, good. Thanks!
stonk

Return to Intermediate Algebra