Verbal Problems

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Verbal Problems

Postby LeEpikia on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi! I'm new here...and Math is actually my weak subject, it'll be awesome if you could help me answer these questions. Pretty please? (If the rationale will be included--will appreciate it more!)

1. A pipe can alone fill a tank in 5 hours, while a drain can do the contrary in 12 hours. How long would it take the pipe to fill the tank if the drain was simultaneously opened during the duration of the filling job and if the tank were entirely emptied at the start?

2. A 24-foot ladder just reaches the sill of a window that is 12 feet above ground level. What angle of measure is the ladder inclined?

3. A man left 1/2 of his state to his wife, 1/8 to his daughter, and the remainder, an amount of 30, 000 to his son. How much was the entire estate?

4. In a particular 30day month, records show that there is more than 1cm of rain in 2 days, some rain but less than 1cm on 5 days and no rain on 23 days. If a day is chosen at random, what is the probability that it rained on that day?

5. A license plate consists of 3 letters and 3 numbers, where the 1st number can't be zero. What is the probability that a car's license plate is greater than 400?
LeEpikia
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Verbal Problems

Postby buddy on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

LeEpikia wrote:Hi! I'm new here...and Math is actually my weak subject, it'll be awesome if you could help me answer these questions. Pretty please? (If the rationale will be included--will appreciate it more!)

If your'e wanting somebody to do these for you, they don't allow that here. Sorry.

These probs are from pre-algebra, algebra, trig, and probability. What kind of class are you in?? :shock:

LeEpikia wrote:1. A pipe can alone fill a tank in 5 hours, while a drain can do the contrary in 12 hours. How long would it take the pipe to fill the tank if the drain was simultaneously opened during the duration of the filling job and if the tank were entirely emptied at the start?

They explain how to do this kind of prob here.

LeEpikia wrote:2. A 24-foot ladder just reaches the sill of a window that is 12 feet above ground level. What angle of measure is the ladder inclined?

You can do inverse trig stuff on your calculator (like here), but this happens to be one of the "specail" angle values you have to memorize in trig (like here). So draw the picture and copy off what you need.

LeEpikia wrote:3. A man left 1/2 of his state to his wife, 1/8 to his daughter, and the remainder, an amount of 30, 000 to his son. How much was the entire estate?

For this one you can do the subtraction with fractions to find the fraction for the son. Then figure out how much money is 1/8 (from the 3/8) and work backwards to get the whole estate.
buddy
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Verbal Problems

Postby buddy on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:27 pm

(This forum only lets you do 3 links in one reply so here's the rest of my ans.)

LeEpikia wrote:4. In a particular 30day month, records show that there is more than 1cm of rain in 2 days, some rain but less than 1cm on 5 days and no rain on 23 days. If a day is chosen at random, what is the probability that it rained on that day?

Just do the dividing. How many days had rain divided by how many days.

LeEpikia wrote:5. A license plate consists of 3 letters and 3 numbers, where the 1st number can't be zero. What is the probability that a car's license plate is greater than 400?

Do the lining up with numbers, filling in how many options there are for each. You can read a book chapter showing this here.
buddy
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm


Return to Intermediate Algebra