Algebra Promt: Consider F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Algebra Promt: Consider F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4

Postby Mathdummy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 pm

ello! I am new to this forum and came here if I could any help. I have to do this Algebra prompt and I am like totally lost and don't know how to do it, can someone please help me and explain

Prompt:
Consider the Function F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4. Use any instructional tool or manipulative to help you answer Both portions below in a paragraph:
A. Describe g(x) as a transformation (parameter changes0 of f(x).
B. Describe the difference in the domain and range of f(x) and g(x).
Also, consider the function k(x)=x+5. Use any instructional tool or manipulative to help you answer both parts below (C and D)
C. Describe g(k(x)) as a transformation of g(x)
D. Describe the difference/similarities in the domain and range of g(x) and g(k(x)).

In your statement about domain and range, identify the domain and the range in interval notation. Use correct grammar, punctuation, and mathematical vocabulary to answer each part. Also, refer to any properties or theorems that would help justify the statements in the description.
The following is a list of suggested terms to consider while you write your paragraphs: vertical/ horizontal shift, vertical/horizontal stretch or compression, and reflection.

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely lost in this subject
Mathdummy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Algebra Promt: Consider F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4

Postby anonmeans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:34 am

Mathdummy wrote:I am like totally lost and don't know how to do it, can someone please help me and explain

You can get an explanation here for fcn transformations.

Mathdummy wrote:Consider the Function F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4. Use any instructional tool or manipulative to help you answer Both portions below in a paragraph:
A. Describe g(x) as a transformation (parameter changes0 of f(x).

I'm pretty sure you're meaning F(x) & f(x) to be the same, right? & g(x) is (29x - 3)^2 + 4?

Mathdummy wrote:B. Describe the difference in the domain and range of f(x) and g(x).

The domains are the same. For the range look at the vertex of the parabolas.

(This board only lets me do 3 links per post so-- )
anonmeans

Re: Algebra Promt: Consider F(x)=-2x^2 and g(x)=29x-3)^2+4  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby anonmeans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:36 am

Mathdummy wrote:Also, consider the function k(x)=x+5. Use any instructional tool or manipulative to help you answer both parts below (C and D)
C. Describe g(k(x)) as a transformation of g(x)

They show about compositions here.

Mathdummy wrote:D. Describe the difference/similarities in the domain and range of g(x) and g(k(x)).

Do the 2 graphs. Say whats the same and whats different -- mostly the ranges.

Mathdummy wrote:Also, refer to any properties or theorems that would help justify the statements in the description.

What properties or theorems do they give you? Thanks.
anonmeans

Return to Intermediate Algebra