Intermediate Algebra Equation: [x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Intermediate Algebra Equation: [x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

Postby jenhudd1171 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Anyone???

[x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]
jenhudd1171

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Intermediate Algebra Equation: [x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

Postby maggiemagnet on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 am

jenhudd1171 wrote:Anyone???

[x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

Your subject line says "equation" but there's no "equals" so this is just an "expression. Also, there weren't any instructions, so I don't know what you're supposed to be doing. Please write back with that information. Also, please say if the brackets mean "floor function", "ceiling function", one of the integer functions, or if they're just brackets for grouping, so the expression means like this:

(The meaning would be different if you'd done like [x/(x+1)]/[[x/(x+1)]+x].) Also, please show what you've tried so far. Thanks!
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Re: Intermediate Algebra Equation: [x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

Postby jenhudd1171 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:45 pm

The question just reads to simplify. Yes, the way you have it written is correct. The brackets are merely for grouping purposes.

[x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

I multiplied everything by the common denominator : x (x+1)
My final answer was 1/2+x but I am not sure that was correct. Sometimes all the x's gets me confused.
jenhudd1171

Re: Intermediate Algebra Equation: [x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby maggiemagnet on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:15 pm

jenhudd1171 wrote:[x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]
maggiemagnet wrote:...please say if...they're just brackets for grouping, so the expression means like this:

jenhudd1171 wrote:The question just reads to simplify. Yes, the way you have it written is correct. The brackets are merely for grouping purposes.

[x/x+1]/[[x/x+1]+x]]

I multiplied everything by the common denominator : x (x+1)
My final answer was 1/2+x....

How are you getting a common denominator of "x(x+1)" when the only denominator in what I'd formatted is "x"? Or did you really mean the other form I'd asked about?

maggiemagnet wrote:(The meaning would be different if you'd done like [x/(x+1)]/[[x/(x+1)]+x].)

The meaning would be different because the grouping would be different. The expression in the parentheses in my reply formats like so:

Which one did you mean? Or did you mean something else? When you write back, please show the steps you did to get to your answer. Thanks!
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Return to Intermediate Algebra