Vertical line test  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Vertical line test

Postby Ridog on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Are there any functions/scenarios where the vertical line test does not apply or is incorrect? Feel free to get as complicated as you want/need to.

Example: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_graph_of_a_circle_a_function
Ridog

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Ridog wrote:Are there any functions/scenarios where the vertical line test does not apply or is incorrect? Feel free to get as complicated as you want/need to.

Example: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_graph_ ... a_function

The question and answer at the link are as follows:

WikiAnswers wrote:Question: Is the graph of a circle a function?

Answer: Yes, the graph of a circle is a function....

Some people might say that the graph of a circle is not a function, because it violates the single value test, i.e. if you draw a vertical line within the domain of the function, you get more than one value. In fact, however, if you convert the equation from cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you pass the single value test, i.e. R is constant for every theta.

Assuming a Cartesian context, the above answer is incorrect, since the Cartesian form is not single-valued, due to the "plus/minus" needed when solving for "y=":

. . . . .

The WikiAnswers response seems to assume that, if one can create a functional form on any domain, range, and function definition, the other relational forms are also functions. I am aware of no authority which agrees with this definition of "function". :shock:
stapel_eliz

Re: Vertical line test

Postby Ridog on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:05 am

Interesting, thank you for the clarification!
Ridog

Return to Intermediate Algebra