Solving Quadratic Inequalities  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Solving Quadratic Inequalities

Postby ascii on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 am

Hey! I have a question regarding solving quadratic inequalities, that I think is pretty straightforward. After you've found the critical points to your inequality, do you need to test every interval created, or can you only test one? The intervals always seem to alternate, so I wasn't sure if you could test one and figure out the rest because of this pattern of alternation, or if you actually need to test every one.

Thanks!

-ascii
ascii

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 pm

ascii wrote:After you've found the critical points to your inequality, do you need to test every interval created, or can you only test one?

You can test none, if you like! :wink:

Instead of testing, you can use what you know about quadratics and their graphed parabolas. For instance, suppose you had an inequality that looked something like "0 < x2 + ..." and you'd found zeroes at -2 and 2. You'd note that this is asking for where the quadratic is positive, which means it's asking for where the parabola is above the x-axis. You'd note that this quadratic has a positive leading coefficient, which means that the parabola opens upward so it's "up" on the "ends". You'd put these together to realize that the graph is above the x-axis on the ends and below in the middle, which would tell you that the solution intervals are the intervals on the ends: (-infinity, -2) and (2, +infinity).

No testing required! :lol:
stapel_eliz

Re: Solving Quadratic Inequalities

Postby ascii on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks for the response!
ascii

Return to Intermediate Algebra