absolute-value of an absolute-value equation. Please Help  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

absolute-value of an absolute-value equation. Please Help

Postby tormomr on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 pm

Is it posible : ||a+b||= |a| + |b| &/or
||a|+|b||=|a|+|b| ?
Is there some properties for those equations?
tormomr

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 am

tormomr wrote:Is it posible : ||a+b||= |a| + |b| &/or
||a|+|b||=|a|+|b| ?
Is there some properties for those equations?

If you're asking if these equations are always true, then try plugging numbers in; specifically, see what happens when you plug negatives in for one or both of the variables.

if you're asking for general identities and properties of absolute values, then you should be able to find listings online, such as here. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: absolute-value of an absolute-value equation. Please Hel

Postby tormomr on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:59 am

tnks so much!! It really heped me.
But actually what I'm really want to know is if the absolute-value of an equation can have a superior absolute-value. And if the answere is positive where can i find it, becuse i've been lookign after that the whole day and all I get is the usual properties and identities.

Pleas Help!!
tormomr

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am

tormomr wrote:...actually what I'm really want to know is if the absolute-value of an equation can have a superior absolute-value. And if the answere is positive where can i find it....

I'm sorry, but I don't know what this means...? How does your book define a ''superior" absolute value? What do you mean when you ask "where" answers are? ("Answers" to what?) :confused:
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra