Help (Solving Quadratic Equations By Completing The Square)  TOPIC_SOLVED

Quadratic equations and inequalities, variation equations, function notation, systems of equations, etc.

Help (Solving Quadratic Equations By Completing The Square)

Postby xxTony13 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Hello, I'm Lowell Garcia, a 2nd Year High School Student from the Philippines, our math is all about Intermediate Algebra. The reason why I joined to this forum is that I want to have a high grade in our math subject and I'm having a hard time to understand and to catch up with the math lessons which my teacher is giving. I know you guys that you can help me kindly please :D.

Anyway the lesson that we are currently studying is about How to solve quadratic equations by completing the square. Our teacher had given us a homework and I'm having a hard time to solve these quadratic equations. Can you please solve them for me and please teach me how did you solve it. Kindly please and Thank You.

Homework:

Solve the following quadratic equations by completing the square:

1) +x-3=0

2) -13y+6=0

3) -5a-3=0
xxTony13

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:29 pm

xxTony13 wrote:Can you please solve them for me....

Sorry, but this isn't that kind of place. :shock:

xxTony13 wrote:...and please teach me how did you solve it.

To learn how to solve by completing the square, please study this lesson. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re:

Postby xxTony13 on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:
xxTony13 wrote:Can you please solve them for me....

Sorry, but this isn't that kind of place. :shock:

xxTony13 wrote:...and please teach me how did you solve it.

To learn how to solve by completing the square, please study this lesson. :wink:

I've already solve it and I already found the values of x but I'm having a hard time checking it. We need the checking so we will have the additional points. What should I do? :confused:
xxTony13

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:48 pm

xxTony13 wrote:I've already solve it and I already found the values of x but I'm having a hard time checking it. We need the checking so we will have the additional points. What should I do?

You do exactly what they showed you for "checking": you plug the answers back into the original equation, and make sure that they work. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Intermediate Algebra