dividing polynomials: (x^4-1) / (x-1)  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

dividing polynomials: (x^4-1) / (x-1)

Postby april on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:29 am

Hello, this is my 3rd ime taking a beginning Algegra class. For what ever reason I can't seem to retain the information and quite frankly math makes my head hurt and i want to cry. Could you please explain to me this problem. I think it is a trick question but i think all Algebra is tricky :confused:

(x^4-1) / (x-1)

the examples in my books does not give examples that resemble this only examples that look like (x^2 + x-12) / (x^2 - 3x)

the steps given in the examples are hard to relate to the question I need help understanding

Please help. April
april

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:15 pm

It sounds like they forgot to cover how to factor a difference of squares. :shock:

The numerator can be restated as (x2) - 12. Factor this difference of squares, using the formula provided in the link above, and then use that formula again to factor the x2 - 1 factor, since this equals x2 - 12.

If you want to learn how to do the actual division, try here. The lesson will explain why you would first need to convert the numerator to the form x4 + 0x3 + 0x2 + 0x - 1. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: dividing polynomials: (x^4-1) / (x-1)

Postby little_dragon on Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

you have 2 memorize the formula: x^4-1=(x^2-1)(x^2+1)
little_dragon

Return to Beginning Algebra