absolute values: |x + 2|/(x + 2) if x < -2

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

absolute values: |x + 2|/(x + 2) if x < -2

Postby Bobbi02 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Can someone help me answer this question?

|x+2|
x+2

if x < -2

It says that the condition only applies to the absolute value. If that is the case what do you do with the bottom half of the equation??? Is it:

|-3+2|
-3+2
= -1

= -1
Bobbi02

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 am

Bobbi02 wrote:Can someone help me answer this question?

|x + 2|/(x + 2) if x < -2

It says that the condition only applies to the absolute value.

What is the question? What did the instructions say to do with the posted expression? :confused:

Thank you! :D
stapel_eliz

Re: absolute values: |x + 2|/(x + 2) if x < -2

Postby Bobbi02 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Sorry, the question was, evaluate the expression
Bobbi02

Postby stapel_eliz on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 pm

You can't "evaluate" without an x-value. Maybe they mean for you to express in a simplified form...? (No wonder you're confused!)

Since they didn't give you an x-value at which to evaluate, but did specify that x is less than -2, then take a look at the absolute-value portion of the expression. If x < -2, then what can you say about the sign of x + 2? (Hint: Take the inequality they've given you, and add two to each side. What does the result tell you?)

If the insides of an absolute value are negative, what must you do when you take the absolute-value bars off? Take the bars off, and do this.

Now simplify. What do you get?

You should get a numerical value.... :wink:
stapel_eliz

Postby Bobbi02 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:59 pm

I am sorry but I just don't understand what you mean. Could you show me the answer? This is not a homework question for me. I have been doing some practice on my own and I just don't get how they come to the answer of -1. I understand they meaning of absolute value being the distance of a point or number from the origin and that it has to be positive. I understand the simple examples lik |-1| = 1 and so on but I don't understand these more complicated ones. Do I only look at the top part of the question |x+2| and ignore the bottom portion?
Bobbi02

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Since you're trying to learn how this stuff works, obviously "just the answer" wouldn't be helpful. To learn about absolute values in general, try here and then here. :wink:

Once you're more familiar with how absolute-value expressions and inequalities work, please try following the step-by-step instructions provided earlier. Thank you! :D
stapel_eliz

Postby MiceHunter on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 am

It says that the condition only applies to the absolute value. If that is the case what do you do with the bottom half of the equation??? Is it:

|-3+2|
-3+2
= -1

= -1

This would be incorrect because -1 over -1 would equal POSITIVE 1.
And I THINK I may know what the answer is. Look at the |x+2|/x+2 again.
I hope this helps :D
MiceHunter

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:50 pm

MiceHunter wrote:It says that the condition only applies to the absolute value. If that is the case what do you do with the bottom half of the equation?

You evaluate in the usual manner!

Try following the instructions, provided earlier. When you do, a simplification should become fairly obvious, leading to what I suspect is the intended result.... :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra