Need help in solving Matrix and Determinants Word Problem  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Need help in solving Matrix and Determinants Word Problem

Postby romansy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:09 pm

During a pre-calculus placement test, I came across the following question under Matrix and Determinants Section:

The number of PMU students taking Calculus I for the next semester is supposed to
be 127 . The number of males will be one more than 4/3 of the females. How many
female students will be enrolled in Calculus I ?

(A) 53 (B) 54 (C) 52 (D) 55

Of course I couldn't answer it as it was too difficult to me specially it's been long time since I studied calculus during high schools times.

When I got home, Ithought about having it here in the forum so that anybody can help.
romansy

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

romansy wrote:The number of PMU students taking Calculus I for the next semester is supposed to be 127. The number of males will be one more than 4/3 of the females. How many female students will be enrolled in Calculus I ?

I have no idea why exercise this would be in "matrices and determinants"...? :shock:

You have a total of 127. This total is the sum of the females and the males, so f + m = 127.

Four-thirds of the females, plus one, equals the number of males, so (4/3)f + 1 = m.

Then (4/3)f + 1 + f = 127. Solve this linear equation for the number f of females.
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra