Beginning and Intermediate algebra  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Beginning and Intermediate algebra

Postby Blue Willow on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm

My ds 14yo and ds 13yo have not taken Algebra I, but instead have begun Algebra II using Intermediate Algebra (Lial, Hornsby, McGinnis, 9th ed.). We have made it successfully through the first two chapters, but slowly. We have covered the real number review, linear equations, inequalities and LOTS of applications. We are striving for mastery, not just finishing the course.

Could anyone give advice on whether we should continue with our slow and steady progress in Intermediate Algebra or switch to Beginning Algebra and progress (supposedly) more quickly. I don't think we are missing any material from Algebra I, but, of course, there is a great deal more presented in Algebra II. Also, we have more than a year to complete it.

Thanks!
Blue Willow
Blue Willow

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Since we can't be familiar with the expectations or requirements, it is difficult for us to assess your needs. But trying to skip over math classes doesn't generally end well, I'm afraid. It usually really is better to spend a little extra time making sure you understand everything well, before moving on.

That said, your best advise would likely come from somebody in your area who is familiar with your situation. It might be time to schedule a conference with the school's math department and / or guidance office.

Good luck! :D
stapel_eliz

Re: Beginning and Intermediate algebra

Postby Honeysuckle588 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 am

You mentioned that you "have more than a year to complete it."

Are you homeschooling? If so, then the best course of action may have more to do with the requirements imposed by your local government on home schoolers. From a purely "math" perspective, Stapel_eliz is right -skipping entire classes isn't usually doable.

That being said, 10 years ago I was teaching out of both Beginning Algebra and Intermediate Algebra. To me, the main difference between the two was the introductory material and the pace. If your daughters are truly understanding the material in the Intermediate Algebra then it may be just fine to continue.

Again, Stapel_eliz, has a great suggestion - consult a professional in your area. They could help you asses your daughters mastery of the material and perhaps detect whether or not they've missed anything important.

Honeysuckle588
Honeysuckle588

Postby Blue Willow on Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Yes, we are homeschooling. Here are few more details. Pre-Algebra was easy for them so we changed curriculum companies for Algebra. When I compared the Beg. and Int. Algebra (Lial) it seemed that everything in Beg. was covered in Int., so we tried to do that first, based on how quickly they picked up Pre-Algebra.

It usually really is better to spend a little extra time making sure you understand everything well, before moving on.

After finding that Intermediate Algebra was Algebra II, I was surprised how well the boys were doing, esp. with the applications. So far, they have shown understanding and are approaching mastery (understanding, accuracy, and speed).

If your daughters are truly understanding the material in the Intermediate Algebra then it may be just fine to continue.

My concern is the scope and sequence of Beginning Algebra (Algebra I). Without going through every objective, is there anything in Beginning Algebra that is not covered in Intermediate Algebra? If so, we will stick with Int. If we stall out, my plan is to go back to Beg. Alg to slow the pace. And, of course, to ask a local teacher/tutor her advice.

Thank you for your feedback! It is VERY helpful!
Blue Willow

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, there are no fixed meanings to "Algebra I", "Algebra II", "Introductory Algebra", "Beginning Algebra", "Intermediate Algebra", "Advanced Algebra", "College Algebra", "Pre-Calculus", and the like. Without closely examining the different curricula in question, there is likely no way to know what gaps might occur in moving from one to another. Sorry. :oops:
stapel_eliz

Re: Beginning and Intermediate algebra  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby Honeysuckle588 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 am

We're home schooling, too. My oldest is only six though, so we're a bit behind you in the curriculum!

I haven't looked at the Lial books since 2001 when I came to RIT, so I don't know about the current texts. At the time, the only thing in BEG that wasn't in INT was the introductory chapters: basic arithmetic, rules of exponents and roots, introduction to variables, simple linear inequalities of one variable.

It really would be best to find a local high school or college math teacher to take a look at both books with you.
Honeysuckle588

Postby Blue Willow on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:21 am

Thank you, both, for your responses. You are so right about the different course titles not being very revealing! That's how we ended up with "Intermediate Algebra". I will contact a tutor in my area for her opinion.

Blessings on your homeschool. You will be teaching this level before you know it. It doesn't seem anytime since we were just doing first grade math, now it's algebra!

Blue Willow
Blue Willow

Return to Beginning Algebra