[MOVED] roots and the least common denominator  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

[MOVED] roots and the least common denominator

Postby Tennise on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:20 pm

To find the least common denominator of the book I'm reading says to multiply them to get a common denominator of
But wouldn't it be more efficient to find the square roots of the second fraction before multiplying?
Tennise

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: roots and the least common denominator  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby jaybird0827 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Tennise wrote:To find the least common denominator of the book I'm reading says to multiply them to get a common denominator of
But wouldn't it be more efficient to find the square roots of the second fraction before multiplying?

Where do you get the idea that the square root of a fraction is equal to the fraction?

Please compare the value of with by plugging a random value such as into each of these expressions for . Are you sure that for all ?

Also, you may find it helpful to review lcm and gcf here: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/lcm_gcf.htm
jaybird0827

Re: roots and the least common denominator

Postby Tennise on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Oh, I see now... Thought I could cheat my way through and remove the exponent by squaring, guess not!

Thanks for your help, and the link, although my problem wasn't LCM/GCF here :P

Edit: I just noticed you moved this thread, sorry for posting in the wrong area, arithmetic's description listed fractions...
Tennise

Return to Beginning Algebra