Solving Multi Step Inequalities: 3x-1>-9-x, 3.2x-16>-3.2  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Solving Multi Step Inequalities: 3x-1>-9-x, 3.2x-16>-3.2

Postby iPawdNano_x3 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:55 am

First of all, I'm in 8th grade and not good at Math whatsoever. It's very challenging for me, although I try my best.
Anyway, what we're studying now is solving inequalities with multiple steps. I understand how to solve inequalities by
adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing. Now that my teacher as introduced this, I'm finding that I'm having a tough time.

If you could please explain to me how to do these problems, or at least provide some help, I'd greatly appreciate it!
I'm having trouble understanding which number to add or subtract from each side, etc.

1. 3x-1>-9-x

2. 3.2x-16>-3.2

Thanks again in advanced for any help! :D
iPawdNano_x3

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 am

iPawdNano_x3 wrote:If you could please explain to me how to do these problems, or at least provide some help, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm having trouble understanding which number to add or subtract from each side, etc.

There is no one "right" set of steps to take. You do what you find useful and simpler, according to the rules of mathematics. In general, you solving linear inequalities by doing pretty much the same stuff you did when you were solving linear equations.

For instance, how would you solve 3x - 1 = -9 - x? You'd probably add x to either side, add 1 to either side, and then divide through by 4. What happens when you use those exact same steps with the inequality? :wink:

Note: Many students find it helpful, when working with decimals, to multiply through to get rid of the decimal point. If you multiply your second inequality by 10, you'll then be working with 32x - 160 > -32. Do the obvious division by 32 to x - 5 > -1, and you're well on your way! :D
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra