If I had 2X as many boys less the number of boys he has...

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

If I had 2X as many boys less the number of boys he has...

Postby boone9 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:06 am

Could someone please help me out with the answers and how you got them?

I have 6 children. My brother has 4 with at least 2 girls, maybe more. If I had twice as many boys less the number of boys my brother has, I would have just enough boys for a baseball team. How many boys do I have, and how many boys does my brother have?

Thanks for the help in advance.
boone9

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: If I had 2X as many boys less the number of boys he has.

Postby theshadow on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

boone9 wrote:Could someone please help me out with the answers and how you got them?

We're not suppose to do it for you. (I don't want to get banned.) But we can help you figure it out on your own, OK?

boone9 wrote:I have 6 children. My brother has 4 with at least 2 girls, maybe more. If I had twice as many boys less the number of boys my brother has, I would have just enough boys for a baseball team.

Start here. If "I have 6" and he's talking about "twice as many", then how many is he talking about? (You subtract the "less" part from this number of boys.) How many is "just enough" for a baseball team? So how many is he needing to subtract from the "twice as many"? What does this tell you?

Please write back if you get stuck. Thnx.
theshadow

Return to Beginning Algebra