Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Postby Oaney on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:59 am

I have been 'tutoring' a grade school student as a favor to a family friend. This child has been struggling in the math's and science's. Years ago I tended to do well in the math's and science's, and so I agreed to try and help my godchild with her homework. Fast forward to today. I recently came across a seemingly trivial problem that I could not explain to her. I was able to come up with the correct answer based on intuition alone, but I couldn't explain to her the specific steps to solve this problem.

This single test-prep question has been bugging me since then. Luckily she was able to follow my reasoning and get this section of the test correct. I would just like to be able to explain WHY this question works out. I will type the question in a very similar format, but using rounded numbers. I'm not sure what my issue is, but for some reason this question is causing me a major brain-fart. Hopefully yall can lend me a hand.

"You are planning on taking a road trip from Boston, MA to Washington, DC. This trip is roughly 700 miles. You are driving an average vehicle that gets 20mpg. Assume gas costs an average of $3.50/gal. Using the numbers given, what is the total cost to take this trip?"
Oaney

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Question, Basic Refresher Course? Thanks

Postby maggiemagnet on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:16 am

Oaney wrote:I was able to come up with the correct answer based on intuition alone, but I couldn't explain to her the specific steps to solve this problem.

What steps did you do in your head? Maybe that's the way to do it!

Oaney wrote:"You are planning on taking a road trip from Boston, MA to Washington, DC. This trip is roughly 700 miles. You are driving an average vehicle that gets 20mpg. Assume gas costs an average of $3.50/gal. Using the numbers given, what is the total cost to take this trip?"

How many 20-mile lengths go into 700 miles? So how many gallons? How much does one gallon cost? So how much does this trip cost?
:clap:
maggiemagnet

Return to Beginning Algebra