different types of algebra  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

different types of algebra

Postby liquelffaodafa on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:36 pm

How many different types of algebra are there?
I know there is pre algebra, but what is there after that? And what kind of questions do you solve with pre algebra? And is 5x^2+24x a pre algebra question?
Last edited by liquelffaodafa on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
liquelffaodafa

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: different types of algebra  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby FWT on Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 pm

liquelffaodafa wrote:How many different types of algebra are there?
I know there is pre algebra, but what is there after that? And what kind of questions do you solve with pre algebra? And is 5x^2+24x a pre algebra question?

"Pre-algebra" isn't really algebra; it's stuff before ("pre") algebra. Then "beginning", "intermediate", "advanced", and "pre-calculus" algebra are all "regular" algebra like the expression you gave. The other "types" of algebra are done in graduate school (years after calculus) and don't look anything like the algebra here.
FWT

Re: different types of algebra

Postby jg.allinsymbols on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 am

I mostly agree with what FWT said. The one difference is about "Pre-Algebra". A course titled "Pre-Algebra", depending on how the institution arranges it, can in fact be an intense survey course on the main topics of Beginning/Elementary Algebra of ninth grade. It may also include review of the truely "pre-algebra" material which students are expected to have studied and know before starting Beginning/Elementary Algebra.
jg.allinsymbols

Return to Beginning Algebra