I Need Help on proplems like this -2+5x+12  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

I Need Help on proplems like this -2+5x+12

Postby Milton on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I need help on proplems like this -2+5x+12 ive read my book but i still dont understand.
Milton

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 am

Milton wrote:I need help on proplems like this -2+5x+12 ive read my book but i still dont understand.

What are you supposed to do with this expression? What have you tried and where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re:

Postby Milton on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 pm

stapel_eliz wrote:
Milton wrote:I need help on proplems like this -2+5x+12 ive read my book but i still dont understand.

What are you supposed to do with this expression? What have you tried and where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! :wink:

I don't know the the steps on how to solve this kind of problem.
Milton

Postby stapel_eliz on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:36 pm

Milton wrote:I don't know the the steps on how to solve this kind of problem.

"Solve" means there's an equation of some sort, but what you've posted is an expression. For an expression, the instructions would have been something like "Simplify". So the first thing the volunteers need to know is what is the full and exact text of the exercise and what the actual instructions were. For instance, if you're supposed to "solve", then they need the rest of the equation.

Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: I Need Help on proplems like this -2+5x+12  TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby LoveMath on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:46 am

This is an example of an expression. Expressions can have numbers, variables and symbols (like add, subtract, multiply, divide, parentheses, etc). The difference between an expression and an equation is that an equation has an equal sign in it. If this were an equation, you would need to solve it and find the value of x. However, here, all you need to do is simplify the expression. This expression is not in its simplest form since you can combine the -2 and the +12.

One way to simplify the expression is to rewrite it and put the numbers next to each other. So you can write
+5x+12-2 This then becomes
+5x+10

You can't simplify the above expression any further since they are unlike terms. One term has a variable and the other is just a number by itself. If you had, let's say 5x+10-2x, the like terms would be the 5x and the -2x since they both have exactly the same variable. But since you have no other x term to combine with the +5x, once you get to +5x+10 which is the same as 5x+10, you are done.

Does this answer your question>
LoveMath

Re: I Need Help on proplems like this -2+5x+12

Postby Milton on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Yes, Thank you
Milton

Return to Beginning Algebra