Solving for variables: at+b=ct for t, t(1/a+1/b)=1 for t,  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Solving for variables: at+b=ct for t, t(1/a+1/b)=1 for t,

Postby Kriquette317 on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi all, I am stumped on how to solve these three problems. I already have the answers (given on sheet), but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solve at+b=ct for t

Solve t(1/a + 1/b) = 1 for t

Solve 5(1/a + 1/b)= 1 for a
Kriquette317

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 am

Kriquette317 wrote:Hi all, I am stumped on how to solve these three problems. I already have the answers (given on sheet), but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To learn how to solve literal equations, try this lesson. Pay particular attention to the "trick" for solving certain equations by factoring.

Kriquette317 wrote:Solve at+b=ct for t

Get the terms containing "t" together on one side, factor, and divide through to solve.

Kriquette317 wrote:Solve t(1/a + 1/b) = 1 for t

For this, you can just divide off. (For neatness, you may want to convert the fractions to a common denominator and combine before doing the division.)

Kriquette317 wrote:Solve 5(1/a + 1/b)= 1 for a

Try multiplying things out, converting to a common denominator, and similar moves.

If you get stuck, please reply showing your work so far, so we can "see" where you're getting stuck. Thank you! :wink:
stapel_eliz

Re: Solving for variables: at+b=ct for t, t(1/a+1/b)=1 for t

Postby Kriquette317 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:04 am

Thank you very much. The trick about factoring was what really helped.
Kriquette317

Return to Beginning Algebra