Algebra mathbook  TOPIC_SOLVED

Simplificatation, evaluation, linear equations, linear graphs, linear inequalities, basic word problems, etc.

Algebra mathbook

Postby mark.ump on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 am

I have a rocks for jocks algebra math book. The one issue I have with this book is that in the practice plus area there are always problems that I have never seen and haven't been given any chapter in which to reference to get the right answer. An example of this is the following problem: (x-7)^2-4a^2.
What I do to solve this problem, I think, is to square everything in (x-7)(x+7) then add the -4a^2. After that I end up with -4a^2+x^2-49. Now I'm thinking this is the wrong answer, which it is, and I know I need to reduce it further. The problem is that I don't know how to do that; I know how to factor when it comes to things that will factor usually easily but this I do not have any idea. The answer is (x-7-2a)(x-7+2a). I have looked through multiplying polynomials and all it shows is how to multiply polynomials that look like that. I haven't once seen a problem in any of the chapter examples before to help me with this. I would like to learn this stuff, but it seems like a huge joke that the writers of the book play just to get their daily fix.

Another problem is y^7+y. I look for a common factor "y" and I factor it out so then I'm left with y(y^6+1). This is where I am stuck. I don't know the process that will allow me to arrive at the answer of y(y^2+1)(y^4-y^2+1). I have the instructor book which is why I know the answer, but I don't understand how they get the answer because I cannot find it in the book. Why couldn't it have been reduced to (y^3+1) or (y^4+1)? These are the questions I have and I can not ever find an answer for them in the book. I understand factoring down to lowest terms is ideal, but what do I do after I factor to (y^2+1). Where does the rest of it go? Seems like it is a huge secret. I try to ask people who are good at math in chat-rooms but all they say are it just is that way. Not very helpful at all most of the time... this stuff is really starting to annoy me.
mark.ump

Sponsor

Sponsor

TOPIC_SOLVED

Postby stapel_eliz on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

mark.ump wrote: An example of this is the following problem: (x-7)^2-4a^2.

How would you factor a2 - b2?

Let a = x - 7 and b = 2a. See what you get. :wink:
stapel_eliz

Return to Beginning Algebra